Special Licenses

Block Parties

An application for a block party license can be obtained from the police department and is required for residential outdoor gatherings of 50 or more people which may/may not include outdoor music. Money cannot be exchanged for alcohol. Activities must be shut down by 11 p.m. Barricades are not provided. If tents 200 square feet or larger are used, a tent permit from the fire department is required. Tent permit $40/occasion. No fee for the block party permit.

Fill out the form completely, save it, print and return to the Police Department: 
Block Party Application

Peddlers, Solicitors, and Transient Merchant Applications

Solicitors, peddlers, and transient merchants are allowed in Farmington with a license.

For-profit sale of products or services requires a license from the city. The city does not endorse any specific product or service by the issuing of a license.

Applications may be picked up at either city hall or the police department, or printed from the city website. Fill out the form completely, save it and print:

Peddler License

Solicitors License

Transient Merchant License 

Applications MUST be returned to the Farmington Police Department

  • Each applicant must PERSONALLY turn in his or her application
  • Each applicant MUST provide a valid photo ID (for peddler, solicitor and transient merchant permit applications)
  • Applications will only be accepted Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. 
  • Large groups (4 OR MORE) REQUIRE an appointment.  Walk-in groups not accepted. Contact 651-280-6700 to schedule your appointment.

After the background checks are run, the approved applications will be sent to City Hall. Approved applicants will pay the fee and pick up the permit at City Hall. Cash or check only, credit cards not accepted.

Farmington Police Department
19500 Municipal Drive
Farmington, MN 55024

Frequently Asked Questions

Which license do I need?

Solicitors – Going door to door taking orders.
Peddlers – Going door to door carrying merchandise with them.
Transient Merchants – Selling from a fixed location (selling corn from a pickup in a parking lot)

Note: If the seller is putting flyers on the doors or in paper boxes and not making contact with residents, a permit is not needed.

Non-profit groups: No license is needed, but the Police Department does need a list of vehicles being used and license plate numbers.

When is a block party license needed?

A license is required if a public street is being blocked off. If someone is having a party with a band outside, but not closing off a street, a permit may be suggested because of noise depending on number of people expected and hours. All events are to be shut down by 11:00 p.m. No money can be exchanged for alcohol.

What is the cost of a license?

Solicitors, etc.: $65/person for one year; $45/person for up to 6 months

How long does it take before approval?

Approximately one week.

Is insurance required?

No insurance is required.
City of Farmington | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2023 Intrado Corporation.