Recreational fires, such as backyard wiener roasts, are allowed, although they must meet the guidelines imposed by state law as follows:
- Winds must be less than 5 mph.
- An adult must be in attendance at all times.
- The smoke cannot offend anyone.
- Only firewood can be burned; no leaves, yard waste, paper, garbage, pallets or other flammable materials are allowed.
The property owner agrees as follows:
- The property owner assumes all responsibility for all damages or injuries resulting or arising directly or indirectly from this fire.
- The property owner will defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the city of Farmington, its firefighting staff, officers, agents, employees, and contractors from any and all liability, loss, cost, damages, expense, claims, or actions which the city or its fire representative(s) may sustain.
- The maximum size of this fire shall be 3 feet in diameter, with flames no higher than 2 feet.
- Extinguish the fire immediately upon order of the Farmington Police or Fire Department or Dakota County Sheriff.
- To attend this fire until completely extinguished.
- The minimum distance from a structure shall be (25’) feet, (10’) feet from property line.
- Daily hours permitted for burning are from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- The fire pit must be located in the back yard area. Fires are prohibited on driveways.
- The fire pit should be a permanent structure. Portable/movable fire pits are strongly discouraged.
Prohibited burning materials are: leaves, oil, rubber, plastic, tires, chemically treated materials such as railroad ties, treated lumber, pallets, composite shingles, tar paper, insulation, composition board, leaves, hazardous waste, and trash.
Violations of this permit may subject permitted to criminal and/or civil actions.
Property Owner Responsibility:
The property owner is responsible for compliance and implementation of all general conditions, and special conditions as established. The property owner shall be responsible for all costs incurred as a result of the burn including, but not limited to, fire suppression and administrative fees.
Property owners are required to meet all minimum requirements as establish by City Code.
Resident Responsibility: The resident is responsible for compliance and implementation of all general conditions, and special conditions as established in the permit issued. The resident shall be responsible for all costs incurred as a result of the burn including, but not limited to, fire suppression and administrative fees.
Any questions should be directed to the Fire Chief at 651-280-6941 or JLarsen@ci.farmington.mn.us
Illegal or Nuisance Fires Should be reported to 9-1-1.
Ask the dispatcher to send the “On Duty Chief Officer”.