Residential Permits

Solicitors, peddlers, and transient merchants are allowed in Farmington with a license.

For-profit sale of products or services requires a license from the city. The city does not endorse any specific product or service by the issuing of a license.

Peddlers, Solicitors, Temporary Outdoor, and Transient Applications for Permits

Applications may be picked up at either city hall or the police department, or printed from the city website:

Applications MUST be returned to the Farmington Police Department

  • Each applicant must PERSONALLY turn in his or her application
  • Each applicant MUST provide a valid photo ID (for peddler, solicitor and transient merchant permit applications)
  • Applications will only be accepted Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. 
  • Large groups (4 OR MORE) REQUIRE an appointment.  Walk-in groups not accepted. Contact 651-280-6700 to schedule your appointment.

After the background checks are run, the approved applications will be sent to City Hall. Approved applicants will pay the fee and pick up the permit at City Hall. Cash or check only, credit cards not accepted.

Farmington Police Department
19500 Municipal Drive
Farmington, MN 55024

Frequently Asked Questions

Which permit do I need?

Solicitors – Going door to door taking orders.
Peddlers – Going door to door carrying merchandise with them.
Transient Merchants – Selling from a fixed location (selling corn from a pickup in a parking lot)

Note: If the seller is putting flyers on the doors or in paper boxes and not making contact with residents, a permit is not needed.

Non-profit groups: No permit is needed, but the Police Department does need a list of vehicles being used and license plate numbers.

When is a Temporary Outdoor Exhibition (block party) permit needed?

A permit is required if a public street is being blocked off. If someone is having a party with a band outside, but not closing off a street, a permit may be suggested because of noise depending on number of people expected and hours. All events are to be shut down by 11:00 p.m.  No money can be exchanged for alcohol.

What is the cost of a permit?

Solicitors, etc.: $65/person for one year; $45/person for up to 6 months
Outdoor Exhibitions (Block Parties): $15/event

How long does it take before approval?

Approximately one week.

Is insurance required?

No insurance is required.