Police FAQs

Click on the titles below to view information

What is the juvenile curfew ordinance?

It is unlawful for any juvenile age 17 years and under to be present in any public place within Dakota County between the hours listed below. If you have any questions regarding the curfew ordinance and the possible exceptions, please contact the Farmington Police Department or the Dakota County Attorney's Office.

Dakota County Juvenile Curfew Ordinance
Under 12 years of age

Sunday - Thursday

Friday & Saturday

9 p.m. - 5 a.m.

10 p.m. - 5 a.m.

Age 12-14

Sunday - Thursday

Friday & Saturday

10 p.m. - 5 a.m.

11 p.m. - 5 a.m.

Age 15-17

Sunday - Thursday

Friday & Saturday

11 p.m. - 5 a.m.

Midnight - 5 a.m.

What are my dog owner responsibilities? I found a lost dog, what should I do?

Dog Licenses are required
All dogs are required to be licensed in the city and they must be up-to-date on their rabies vaccinations before a license can be issued. Licenses are available at reception desk at city hall. Application can be downloaded below and mailed to city hall.

If a ticket is issued for an unlicensed dog, there is an enforcement fee of $25 in addition to the regular license. Dogs are required to be leashed or confined. Dogs running at large are subject to ticket and impoundment.

Keep Dogs on a Leash

Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times when not on the owner's property. Dogs cannot run unrestrained anywhere in the community except on the owner's private property or someone else's private property with permission. Even well behaved dogs should be on a leash no longer than six feet.

There are several dog parks in the metro area. Visit www.dogromp.org

Disposal of Dog Waste
Owners must dispose of all dog waste and must have disposal equipment (scooper and baggies) in their possession at all times when walking dogs on public property such as parks, playgrounds, trails and streets. When pet waste is not picked up, rain washes the waste and bacteria into our storm drains and then pollutes our waterway. Dispose of pet waste properly, preferably in the toilet. Then it gets "treated" as it should.

Barking Dogs
If a barking dog is disturbing the peace, the owner is subject to being ticketed. If a dog's barking has created neighborhood tension, it might be a good idea to discuss the problem with your neighbor. It's perfectly reasonable for dogs to bark from time to time, just as children make loud noise when they play outside. However, continual barking for long periods of time is a sign that the dog has a problem that needs to be addressed. Any dog violation may be reported to the Police Department at 651-280-6700 at any time of the day or night. In order to issue a ticket the officer must witness the violation and the offender is generally given a warning.

Dog Bites and Dangerous Dogs
Dog bites must be reported to the Police Department. The dog owner is required to show proof of rabies vaccination or the dog must be impounded for 10 days. In the event the dog bites a second time or demonstrates a propensity to attack, the dog may be declared a Dangerous Dog by the Police Department.

A dog declared Dangerous is required to meet a number of very strict requirements including confinement, insurance and signage. For more complete information contact the Police Department at 651-280-6700.

I found a lost dog, what should I do?

Please call 9-1-1 and an officer will pick up the dog and take care of assisting with returning the dog to his/her home.

Do you provide fingerprinting services?

The department provides fingerprinting services Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., based upon officer availability. The service is provided at no cost to City of Farmington residents, and for a fee of $35 for non-residents (cash or check only, we do not accept credit cards).

What are the lobby hours?

The police reception desk is open between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday, excluding holidays. A lobby phone is available that may be used to contact the Communications Center (dispatcher) to request police assistance after normal business hours, on weekends, and during holidays.


When should I call 911?

You should call 911 for any request for police response. In Dakota County, 911 is no longer reserved exclusively for emergencies. For administrative requests, call 651-280-6700 during normal business hours.


Where can I hunt in Farmington?

The City of Farmington's city ordinances prohibit the discharge of firearms within 1,000' of the city's urban service area. The areas that are highlighted on the hunting areas map fall within those parameters.

Where can I dispose of prescription and over-the-counter medications?

Over-the-counter medications and prescriptions can pollute our waters and be harmful to humans, fish, and other wildlife when disposed of improperly – please do not flush medications down the toilet or place in the trash.
The Dakota County Sheriff, Attorney, and Environmental Management Offices, along with their law enforcement partners, have teamed together to offer the public a place to safely and anonymously dispose of medications in disposal receptacles.
Take prescription and over-the-counter medications to select law enforcement drop-off locations in Dakota County to safely and anonymously dispose of them. Medicines from households are accepted in any form, including prescription, over-the-counter, and pet medications.
Disposal receptacles are at the following locations:

Burnsville Police Department
100 Civic Center Parkway, Burnsville
Farmington Police Department
Receptacle location in the lobby; open M-F from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
19500 Municipal Drive, Farmington
Hastings Sheriff’s Office
Drive-Up Location in Front of Law Enforcement Center
1580 Highway 55, Hastings
West St. Paul Police Department
1616 Humboldt Avenue, West St. Paul

If you have questions regarding disposal after 4:30 p.m. and on weekends, please call the Dakota Communications Center at (952) or (651)322-2323.

The items below are NOT accepted

  • Needles and sharps
  • Fever thermometers

These items are accepted for free, environmentally safe disposal at:
   The Recycling Zone
   3365 Dodd Road, Eagan

Do you have any tips for keeping kids safe using social media?

Here is some information that would be helpful to parents that want to protect their kids from the dangers of social media.

What is your policy on the use of Video Recording Technology?

The primary purpose of using Video Recording Technology (VRT) is to capture evidence arising from police-citizen encounters. 

Policy on use of Video Recording Technology
City of Farmington | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2019 West Corporation.